Thursday, February 5, 2009

Miley addresses her "racially offensive" photo

Image via people.com

I've been waiting for this response!

Earlier this week, a photo deemed "racially insensitive" of Miley Cyrus circulated on the internet.

The photo is of Miley and her friends pulling their eyes slanted, while sitting next to an Asian American boy.

The OCA, an Asian American advocacy group, spoke up about this photo, and the executive director, George Wu, said:

"Not only has Miley Cyrus and the other individuals in the photograph encouraged and legitimized the taunting and mocking of people of Asian descent, she has also insulted her many Asian Pacific American fans. The inclusion of an Asian Pacific American individual in the photo does not make it acceptable. OCA hopes that Miley Cyrus will apologize to her fans and the APA community for this lapse in judgment and takes the opportunity to better understand why the gesture is offensive."

Miley disregarded this controversy until she posted this message on her official fansite:

"Ive also been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces! Well, Im sorry if those people looked at those pics and took them wrong and out of context!

In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy
face. When did that become newsworthy? It seems someone is trying to make something out of nothing to me. If that would of been anyone else, it would of been overlooked! I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new 'BAD GIRL'!"

I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me! haha Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what is on my heart. You guys know me and have been by my side every step of the way!

You guys know my heart and know the most important things to me are my friends, family, fans, and GOD! In NO WAY do I want to disappoint any of you! But, when I have made mistakes in the past, I feel like Ive owned up to them and apologized.

Anyway, I really wish everyone would stop focusing on my personal life and get back to focusing on what I love! Music and Acting! Hopefully, I will be touring again this fall! Yayy! =] It will be a nice change to be back out on the road
again! xoxo Blessings.. Miley =)"

Coming from a Chinese family, I was outraged when I saw this photo, and even more frustrated with her response. Putting the blame on the media, and not directly apologizing for her actions just shows how "Christian" Cyrus is.

What do you think of Miley's "apology?"


With files from perezhilton.com

1 comment:

Mel said...

She didn't actually apologize, like "I'm sorry if I caused any offense" or something like that. So I'm still irritated. And the media is only targeting Miley because she's giving us a good reason to do so! Haha I know exactly where you're coming from, because I'm from a Chinese background too.