Sunday, May 25, 2008

Confession # 1

I have a problem.

A shopping problem to be exact.

I am a true shopaholic.

I knew I had a problem a few years ago, and my mother would often be on my back for spending money, but then I realized she was the one who would take me shopping, pick out something in the store saying, "Madelyn, that would look amazing on you!", and then have me try it out. Of course, she was right, and after falling in love with how wonderful the clothing looked, I had to buy it. I came to the conclusion that she shops vicariously through me.

But now, since I go to school right beside the Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto, my spending habits got exponentially worse.

I go through these phases where I get inspired by either magazine spreads, photographs of street style, etc., and feel that I need to buy a particular item in order to survive. Such items have included the lame legging at American Apparel, pashmina scarves, motorcycle jackets, cardigans, cardigans, and more cardigans, lingerie, plain white t-shirts, and the list goes on.

My latest must-have item was the floral dress shown below. I first saw the dress in March while in Montreal, and immediately grabbed it off the racks upon seeing it. I tried it on, and it was divine -- the perfect summer dress. But with the $100 price tag, I decided not to buy it.

I immediately regretted my decision, and decided to buy in Toronto, but alas, it was nowhere to be found. I was forced to just admire its advertisement.

Then fate struck on May 7th, and I found the dress in Yorkdale. I tried it on, and fell in love all over again. However, another look at the price tag made me drop the dress once more.

Before leaving the mall, I decided to buy it. I had been wanting it for so long, and it would fill the void I was feeling. But after leaving the store, I experienced severe buyer's remorse. At that point, my boyfriend thought I was crazy.

After 18 days of letting the dress sit in its shopping bag, I pulled it out today. The weather is beautiful, and I'm in no mood to wear my winter clothes anymore. Ever since I showed my mom the dress, she wanted me to return it, so she was not happy, to say the least. But, I didn't really care. Although it's very sheer (she wouldn't let me leave the house unless I wore a tank and boy shorts underneath), it is that perfect floral dress that I have been looking for.

And alas, that concludes the story of one of my shopaholic adventures.





No comments: