Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Giles Deacon named new Creative Director at Emanuel Ungaro


Emanuel Ungaro confirmed today that British designer Giles Deacon will be its new creative director.

Deacon, who has been showing his own line in Paris for two seasons, will be replcaing Estrella Archs, the chief designer hired to work beside former artistic advisor, Lindsay Lohan.

The French fashion house has seen its fair share of designers since the retirement of its founder in 2004. However, Deacon feels confident about his new position.

“Yes, I’m totally aware and respectful of the pressure but at the same time, I’ve run my own business for eight years and worked in lots of places,” the 4o-year-old designer told WWD. “I think as soon as you start worrying and thinking about that too much, you’re not concentrating on doing good work, which is the most important thing."

Deacon will show his first collection in a presentation during Paris Fashion Week in October, and will most likely stay away from the runway for the first two seasons to get himself "into the spirit of the house."

He plans on incorporating his love for prints into Ungaro's collection.

“I obviously don’t want to infringe upon my own line, but I like things that are very feminine, lots of color, great prints, great quality, some unusual cuts. All of those things that I like in the world of fashion design I’m going to bring to what I feel is appropriate for the Ungaro woman,” he said.


Deacon will continue to produce his own line, as well as working with British high street retailer, New Look.

Hopefully this will be the turning point for a more successful Ungaro!

What do you think of Ungaro hiring Giles Deacon?

Tweet me your thoughts @TheChicSpot!

No comments: