Friday, February 12, 2010

NYFW: Daniel Vosovic cast only Asian Models in his show

Image via people.com

Designer Daniel Vosovic launched his first official collection yesterday at Drive-In Studios as part of New York Fashion Week.

The Project Runway season two finalist made an impact by casting only Asian models.

However, the lack of diversity made things difficult.

"When we started to request show packages,honestly, I was appalled by the lack of options," he said. "I feel like we found fifteen amazing girls, but it was a freaking struggle. Some agencies just had no Asian girls. It just threw me for a curve. This is the first time I'm showing, and I feel like it was a huge awakening. You hear about it all the time, and then you're in the position to request it, and I'm like 'This is insane.'"

"It seems really funny that people have been casting all-white shows forever and that's never discussed," he added. "And it's like 'Why did you cast all white girls?' And I'm like, 'Well, that's what the designer wanted.'"

Click here to view Daniel Vosovic's Fall 2010 ready-to-wear collection.

No comments: